Northern delivers Omni-Channel Commerce Solutions, designed and developed with the latest open source technology. We specialize in building Magento, Shopify and BigCommerce eCommerce implementations and full service eCommerce marketing solutions. Our goal is to help businesses reap the benefits of web-based technologies to decrease costs and maximize their bottom line.
We are currently seeking a talented and motivated Senior Developer who is passionate about web development and eCommerce to join our team located in London, ON. As a Developer at Northern, you will have the opportunity to work with a collaborative team of highly skilled developers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Mentor and train other peer developers and be a role model for best practices in technical development.
- Maintain an understanding of current and emerging web technologies and programming best-practices through efforts such as: continuing education, self-directed research, participation in conferences, forums, workshops, and / or group discussions.
- Motivate other team members to deliver best-in-class solutions and ideas. Work efficiently to remove platform impediments for the development team.
- Provide best-in-class platform solutions that achieve or exceed client business requirements.
- Responsible for being a platform expert and staying up to date with new developments with the platform.
- Production of clean, structured, documented, efficient, error-free, and concise code.
- Responsible for the full understanding of task requests and providing the best solutions based on both client and company needs, as well as overall development goals.
- Effectively communicate and prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, and develop the best possible solutions within the budget and timeline constraints provided.
- Participate in peer code review and providing constructive feedback and support to peer developers.
- Responsible for seeking feedback from subject matter experts during planning, development, and code review, including peer developers and development directors.
- Responsible for using and understanding modern development tools including, but not limited to: PhpStorm, git, Gitlab CI, Sass, NodeJS, npm, Yarn, Gulp, etc.
- Accurately track time spent on tasks through the use of detailed time log descriptions.
- Responsible for communicating risks, issues, or potential problems and escalating to the appropriate stakeholders, regardless of the size or scope of the issue at hand.
Knowledge, Experience & Education
A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for development.
Experience working with several of the following technologies is preferred;
- Advanced HTML5 and CSS3 knowledge
- LAMP, LNMP Stacks (Linux(Ubuntu), Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- Git Source Control and best practices
- PHP 5/7, OOP, MVC, XML/XSLT, REST
- MySQL databases, data modeling/design technique and database tuning
- PHP Frameworks: Zend, Symfony
- Front-end Build Tools: yarn, sass, gulp, webpack, babel, etc
- Front-end Frameworks: Bootstrap, Foundation
- Magento development, administration, application performance optimization, and caching using redis and varnish
- Shopify development (liquid and theme kit) and app development
- BigCommerce development (stencil) and app development
- Wordpress development
- Other web languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc.
- Cloud Providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Azure
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing competitive compensation, health benefits, flexible work schedules, delicious meals, company retreats, opportunities for growth and professional development, and a fun, supportive environment that will allow you to be your best!
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.