Northern is North America’s leading digital experience agency. We unite creativity, technology and performance marketing to create immersive digital experiences for leading brands in their pursuit of digital transformation. We have strategically assembled a group of innovators, who have a passion for technology, design and improving online experiences.
Our team is made up of individuals who are dedicated to making a difference in the digital landscape. Our experts have specialized knowledge and expertise in building websites that stand out from the rest, both in look and in functionality. Our full-service solutions means we are committed to a project from the beginning stages of planning and development to the stages of strategic promotion and marketing.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for a PHP backend developer to join our innovative development team to plan and execute high-quality web solutions. Your role will require you to be an effective problem-solver and team player.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Strong focus on backend development using PHP frameworks.
- Maintain an understanding of current and emerging web technologies and programming best-practices through efforts such as continuing education, self-directed research, participation in conferences, forums, workshops, and/or group discussions.
- Motivate other team members to deliver best-in-class solutions and ideas. Work efficiently to remove platform impediments for the development team.
- Provide best-in-class platform solutions that achieve or exceed client business requirements.
- Responsible for being a platform expert and staying up to date with new developments with the platform.
- Production of clean, structured, documented, efficient, error-free, and concise code.
- Responsible for the full understanding of task requests and providing the best solutions based on both client and company needs, as well as overall development goals.
- Effectively communicate and prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, and develop the best possible solutions within the budget and timeline constraints provided.
- Participate in peer code review and provide constructive feedback and support to peer developers.
- Responsible for seeking feedback from subject matter experts during planning, development, and code review, including peer developers and development directors.
- Responsible for using and understanding modern development tools including, but not limited to PhpStorm, Git, GitLab CI.
- Accurately track time spent on tasks through the use of detailed time log descriptions.
- Responsible for communicating risks, issues, or potential problems and escalating to the appropriate stakeholders, regardless of the size or scope of the issue at hand.
- Mentor and train other peer developers and be a role model for best practices in technical development.
Knowledge, Education, & Experience Required
- A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for development.
- 3+ years of development experience with a focus on backend development.
- Experience working with several of the following technologies is preferred:
- LAMP, LNMP Stacks (Linux (Ubuntu), Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- Git Source Control and best practices
- PHP, OOP, MVC, XML/XSLT, REST
- MySQL databases, data modeling/design technique, and database tuning
- Knowledge of Symfony/CodeIgniter/Laravel framework.
- Application performance optimization, and caching using Redis and Varnish
- Magento backend development and administration
- Drupal/WordPress etc. (CMS backend development)
- Cloud Providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Azure
- Facebook applications development and Facebook API integration
- Knowledge of LDAP, SSO, and Solr servers
- Ability to conduct automated testing
- Shopify development (Liquid and Theme Kit) and app development
- BigCommerce development (Stencil) and app development
- Advanced HTML and CSS knowledge
- Sass, Node.js, npm, Yarn, Gulp, etc. for frontend development
- Demonstrated ability to make sites accessible (WCAG AA)
At Northern we recognize that experience comes in many different forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. We know that the best problem-solving and creative thinkers are those with thought diversity; that’s why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team.
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing competitive compensation, health benefits, flexible work schedules, delicious meals, company retreats, opportunities for growth and professional development, and a fun, supportive environment that will allow you to be your best!
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.