Northern delivers Omni-Channel Commerce Solutions, designed and developed with the latest open source technology. We specialize in building Magento, Shopify and BigCommerce eCommerce implementations and full service eCommerce marketing solutions. Our goal is to help businesses reap the benefits of web-based technologies to decrease costs and maximize their bottom line.
We are currently seeking a talented and motivated Web Developer who is passionate about web development and eCommerce to join our team located in London, ON. As an Web Developer at Northern, you will;
- Work with a team of highly skilled Web Developers to implement efficient, clean code.
- Use PHP, HTML, CSS, JS technologies to develop tableless layouts from designs in accordance with best practices and industry standards.
- Plan, design, and implement web application content and features.
- Communicate effectively with project management and development team members to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, and develop state-of-the-art solutions.
- Implement and ensure all application code is valid, properly structured, well-documented, meets industry standards and is compatible with modern and legacy browsers, devices, and operating systems.
- Participate in the peer code review process and provide constructive feedback and support to peer developers.
- Maintain understanding of current and emerging web technologies and programming best-practices through continuing education, self-directed research, participation in conferences, forums, workshops, and / or group discussions.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills Required
- 1-3 years of eCommerce/Web Development experience
- Familiarity with source control (e.g. GIT) and the ability to manage source code for multiple projects in accordance with best practices and industry standards. Knowledge of the command line interface to manage projects through source control.
- Ability to use modern development tools, such as PHPStorm effectively, and a strong understanding of development tools such as SASS, nodejs, NPM, bower, gulp, etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot and optimize application’s front-end performance with solid knowledge of CSS/JS support for both modern and legacy browsers.
- Ability to use modern development tools, such as PHPStorm effectively, and a strong understanding of development tools such as SASS, nodejs, NPM, bower, gulp, etc. is an asset.
Experience working with several of the following technologies is preferred;
- Advanced HTML5 and CSS3 knowledge
- Experience with LAMP and LNMP Development Stack (Linux(Ubuntu), Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- Experience with Git Source Control and best practices (Branching etc.)
- Experience with PHP 5/7, OOP, MVC, XML/XSLT, REST
- Experience with MySQL databases, data modeling/design technique and database tuning
- Experience with eCommerce or similar web applications
- Zend Framework
- Symfony/Codeigniter Framework
- Wordpress Application
- Drupal Application
- Amazon Web Services
- Facebook, Twitter, Google (Maps), Geocoding API
- Front-end build tools such as bower, sass, gulp, etc.
- Front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap and Foundation
- Unit tests, test driven development, and PHPUnit
- Magento 1 and 2 Development & Administration
- Magento 1 and 2 Application Performance Optimization
- Magento 1 and 2 Caching using Redis, Memcache, Varnish
- Experience with common Shopify Apps (ie. product reviews)
- Knowledge of Shopify’s Liquid template language
- Shopify API knowledge (ie. Admin API & Storefront API)
- Knowledge of Shopify Theme Kit
- BigCommerce Stencil template language
- BigCommerce API knowledge
- Knowledge of any additional languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc.
At Northern we recognize that experience comes in many different forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. We know that the best problem-solving and creative thinkers are those with thought diversity; that’s why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team.
A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for web development.
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing competitive compensation, health benefits, flexible work schedules, delicious meals, company retreats, opportunities for growth and professional development, and a fun, supportive environment that will allow you to be your best!
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.