Northern delivers Omni-Channel Commerce Solutions, designed and developed with the latest open source technology. We specialize in building Magento/Shopify eCommerce implementations and full service eCommerce marketing solutions. Our goal is to help businesses reap the benefits of web-based technologies to decrease costs and maximize their bottom line.
Our employees are challenged to uphold the highest standards and together we strive to exceed all expectations. We are currently seeking a Graphic Designer who will complement our passion for design, technology and performance-based results.
The Graphic Designer, under the direction and guidance of the Lead Designer, will work closely with internal teams to complete all graphic content and creative assets with an intuitive sense of layout and design. The incumbent will provide creative and innovative solutions, while producing designs that align with brand guidelines and client expectations. Strong communication skills coupled with the ability to understand both the aesthetic needs and technical requirements of the digital space will best support the Graphic Designer in their role.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Works in collaboration with the design team and project managers to apply graphic design to creative concepts based on client expectations
- Ensures that all digital graphic content is optimized across all channels, and that all files are proofed and correctly formatted for optimal reproduction
- Manages designated projects from concept development through to execution by coordinating with the appropriate teams to secure proper assets and meet task deadlines
- Confers with management or department leads to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, develop content, and implement solutions in a timely manner
- Prepares and sends e-mail campaigns as needed
- Selects and edits photos and other media as required
- Maintains a strong understanding of any current technologies and/or practices through continuing education, research, and/or workshops to provide recommendations based on best practices as well as industry and consumer trends
- Provides professional and friendly customer service and technical support to internal and external clients
- Performs all other duties as required to support overall project completion and success
Education & Experience
- A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for design.
- 2-3 years related experience in a communications or marketing environment
- Extensive skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc.), PDF form creation and optimization, Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and the ability to quickly learn new software; knowledge of various Google Applications
- Strong understanding of design principles and methodologies; proficient in digital/web production and design, with experience in user interface design
- Experience working within web content management systems (e.g. WordPress) and e-mail campaign systems (e.g. MailChimp); familiarity with web development and design concepts and basic HTML and CSS coding
- A keen eye for visual aesthetic and branding; good knowledge of colour systems, artwork preparation and the print production process
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to successfully manage tasks and projects independently; strong planning and problem solving skills
- Ability to be flexible and quickly re-prioritize and react positively with short notice of changes
- Ability to work competently with exceptional accuracy in a fast-paced and highly dynamic environment that is challenging and constantly evolving
- Exemplary interpersonal and customer service skills; maturity, positive attitude and demonstrated success in liaising with all levels of management and a variety of stakeholders
At Northern we recognize that experience comes in many different forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. We ask that you please submit a portfolio or link to your portfolio to showcase some of your previous work with your resume.
We know that the best problem-solving and creative thinkers are those with thought diversity; that’s why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team.
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing competitive compensation, health benefits, flexible work schedules, delicious meals, company retreats, opportunities for growth and professional development, and a fun, supportive environment that will allow you to be your best!
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.